Thursday 20 December 2018

More English Travels


After our return from our 3 day road trip we were off again - this time just for the day to Lewes (about 40 mins South-West of Tunbridge Wells)....another lovely town with it's own castle (and why not? - every other place has one it seems) - wonderful views of the town from the turrets, a brewery dating back to 1790's, plenty of vintage shops.....and one that was a rabbit warren with everything  you could imagine! 
The following day dawned windy and rather overcast so after a relaxing morning at home (finally!) we took a short afternoon drive to East Grinstead.....mainly for a coffee and cake....and bought some more to have for later!! 

Megan had to eventually return to work, so, I became a tourist on my own.... after a day "pottering" around Tunbridge Wells as weather was still rather inclement I decided to re-visit Rye - a visit a couple of weeks ago wasn't long enough.....an hours travel by train heading South & I arrived at my destination.....great cobbled streets, quaint shops and historical buildings such as Ypres Tower (stronghold for fighting off  French invaders in 1250's) and St Mary's Church (1150)

The next day....2 hours and 2 trains later (a change in London required) and I arrived at amazing Hampton Court! Earliest parts of the palace date back to 1494 as a manor house..... by 1525 was presented to Henry VIII - following monarchs used Hampton Court Palace and added onto the original palace - result being that there is a variety of architecture - but from mid 1700's no British monarch lived here again. In 1839 Queen Victoria opened the palace to paying visitors and was gradually restored. Conservation is on-going - while I was there I came across a few mattresses being restored....beautiful grounds with gardens, woods and a huge vegetable garden! There is a maze but I missed that as it was getting late - a "must-do" for next time!  Well worth the visit though there was an extremely cold strong wind (some may call it a gale!) blowing!! 
A photo off the brochure - the palace was huge!

By now my holiday was nearly over and - for those reading my blog - there should only be one more post to do and I would have covered all of my English holiday.....

Asta












No comments:

Post a Comment