Tuesday 12 October 2021

What a Couple of Months!

 Well, who knew what the next couple of months since my last blog would bring! But....before I move on too much further I must share my birthday photo - from way back in early August when my birthday just happened to fall on the same day as my embroidery group has our get together...... a lovely cake was made by Helen.....

By the following week our dad was in hospital and so followed an eventual move for both our parents from their home of nearly 70years in Sydney to "Residential Aged Care". My sisters and I have been on what seems a "never ending" learning curve regarding aged care and all that comes in the process of this kind of move! As the 3 of us live in different areas of regional NSW - not forgetting to mention the restrictions of Covid -  modern technology came to our rescue with endless phone calls, emails and zooms..... the end result being that mum and dad are now residing in a lovely Residential Aged Care home in Bundanoon - within walking distance of my sister in the Southern Highlands, a closer drive for me than going to Sydney, a bit longer for my sister up north but still achievable....... they seem to be settling in quite well. Our parents have done very well though, having being able to stay in their own home till the age of 92 (mum) and dad (just about to turn 99).
For obvious reasons there has not been a lot of creativity happening over the last couple of months - it was like having a 2nd job during this time - but the other day decided my old cane lounge on the verandah was looking a bit worse for wear so decided as shops (at that time) were closed would make a small quilt - decided to hand quilt with big stitches but as you can see someone has taken a liking to it and stitching has been happening rather slowly.......
I did find time to do some reading.... it was a bit of escapism.... all really interesting but different stories..... "The Paris Library" partly based on true events during WW2, while "Women in Sunlight" had me dreaming of spending a year in Tuscany.....And the true story of "Finding Gobi" was a nice light read as was "Lara the Runaway Cat"
Over the past weeks I have been walking with some lovely friends along the beautiful beaches in my area .....
While Megan and James in England went on their first holiday in 18 months (which is a long time for Megan who loves her travels)....they headed off to Scotland - pictured here on the Isle of Skye......
This weekend I will travel to Bundanoon to see mum and dad - due to the covid restrictions have not seen them for quite some time - last time would have been I think around May? A lot has happened in their little world since then! 

Will catch up soon 
Asta







1 comment:

  1. Hasn't it been a strange few months. We are still virtually locked down here though a few restrictions have been lifted. Aren't your parents amazing and good on them for settling in well at the retirement village. I loved the Paris library book and will look out the the others.

    ReplyDelete